Benefits of OMERO Edit
- Omero is a top notch DAM for medical research and is used by similar institutions to PHSU.
- It supports over 140 image file formats, including all major microscope format and tissue scanner.
- Easy to transfer interface that includes 3D imaging and high quality tools to analyze research.
- Exports in original file with metadata or presentation format.
- This system will allow PHSU to participate in global health initiatives and clinical trials that are long-term and have global partners due to 3rd part analyzing tools
Challenges of OMERO Edit
- The open source software will require a higher degree of in-house manipulation
- Significant training will be required to get staff prepared for launch
- Selecting OMERO requires a second DAM for archives and the necessity of a two stage launch
Benefits of HP Records ManagerEdit
- Records Manager, previously TRIM, is a very robust DAM with a high degree of scalability.
- Uses a "in place" records storage framework to reduce the need for migration
- Secure and streamlined process that is appropriate for archival records and limited retention institutional records
- High degree of training and documentation available
- Vendor support included with the system
Challenges of HP Records Manager Edit
- Cost of system is annual
- Designed for Windows operating system. It has a web application for most other operating systems including mobile, but main system is limited to Windows.
- Feedback on web forums point to some disruption to the end user experience after software upgrades.